Richard Kaufman ~ dadstimeon

Ry

I am so sorry to tell you that Rich passed away in his sleep Wednesday evening. His wife Kathy wanted Geri and all his friends here to know. He had been having many issues with pain and trying to get his pain under control.

He would often tease me about what I would post about him when he died. I told him of course I would write something nice. I lost a wonderful friend, a wonderful sounding board, and supporter. Throughout John's illness he helped me immensely and I hope I helped him at least half as much as he did me.

His obituary will be in the Boston papers once they have the arrangements. made. Kathy is ordering an autopsy to determine what exactly happened.

Rest in peace big guy,

Rochelle

Oh Ry, this is just terrible news. Except for the part that Rich went peacefully in his sleep. I thought about him lately, that I hadn't seen him post in awhile. But I'd become accustomed to him taking breaks and popping back up. I've not been on this site long enough to claim a close friendship like many of you. I am genuinely sorry for your loss. But it's a loss to we newcomers too. He was such an inspiration. Always positive, always upbeat and reassuring that life was good in spite of all the physical adversities he'd endured. He will be missed.

Judy in Key West

Thanks Rochelle, although this is not unexpected he still leaves a huge void. His pain has gone, he's finally not hurting.

A very special man has left us a very special legacy - our Boston walk would not have gotten off the ground without him, he will be missed terribly.

Godspeed my friend, you gave me more than you'll ever know.

Geri.

Dear Ry,

Thank you so very much for sharing this incrediably sad news. I know you and Rich were very good friends, and I am sorry you lost such a dear friend.

Rich was alot of support to so many of us. Rich was a mountain full of information, and always went the extra 100 miles to help everyone when they needed it.

He is and always was an Angel, he will be greatly missed.

My prayers are with is family and his dear friends. This is hard to beleive, I never though Rich would leave us. Although he will remain near and dear in my heart and memories. He was a hero in so many ways.

Hugs,

Connie

I am shocked even though I knew he had been suffering from many ailments, I believed he was invincible.

Rich, you have been a major supporter of all the members here, both those who suffer this horrible disease and those of us that are or have been caregivers.

The amount of research you did to help us. Your hard work and input to get the Boston Walk a reality. Your amazing love for your wife and daughter.

Rich you will be missed more than you can possibly imagine. Rest in peace dear Rich.

I wish your family peace and comfort.

This is so very sad, indeed. Rich was much to many ~ both here and in person. He was the very first person I met in the flesh from LCSC. I went to MA to visit Tracy (years before her own LC dx) and posted here that if ayone was in the vicinity I'd love to meet them. Rich replied and we got to spend an evening together. He and his wife Kathy met Fred and me and we had a few beers, a few laughs, and he gave me a ton of support.

He had a link to whatever anybody needed. And he certainly had a link to all our hearts as well. His suffering and ailments would have been too much for many, but he bore them with dignity and strength. It just seems the world is a different today knowing that he is not 'there' for us all. I am heartened that he drifted away without any more pain to endure. He has been an icon here at LCSC. It is a sad time for all here.

:cry: ,

Kasey

This is such incredibly sad news. When I read this the tears just started streaming down my face. I never met Rich personally, but so much of him will live on at this forum forever, the part of himself that he gave to all of us. He was an incredibly wonderful human being who always presented his best side and did his best to help others. My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.. I'll never forget him.

Sue

Damn. I also beleived that Rich was indestructable. I can't imagine this board without him. He's always been such a comforting presence here. Rich was always the first to sympathize and to offer encouragement. Even when he took breaks his presence was still here.

My love to his family. They will have my prayers during this difficult time.

We love you Rich, and we will miss you.

Susan

My thoughts prayers and condolences to Richs Family and All of his friends wherever they are! I know that Rich is in a wonderful place with many of our loved ones and friends now. Rich was one of many great people here and was always so warm and friendly to Deb and I! I had to step away from this for a few minutes to regain my composure cause this hurts a Lot!! This is a poem Rich pout up when he first came here and Joined Us! I hope he is sharing it with his friends above us now!!!

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:19 am Post subject: Hope.... (Food For Thought) Reply with quote

Hope….

It’s Magic and it’s free,

It’s not in a prescription,

It’s not in an IV.

It punctuates our laughter,

It sparkles our tears,

It simmers under our sorrows,

And dissipates are fears.

Do you know what hope is?

It’s reaching past today,

It’s dreaming of tomorrow,

It’s trying a new way.

It’s pushing past impossible,

It’s pounding on the door,

It’s questioning the answers,

It’s always seeking more.

It’s rumors of a breakthrough,

It’s whispers of a cure,

A rollercoaster ride,

Of remedies unsure.

Do you know what hope is?

It’s candy for the soul,

It’s perfume for the sprit,

To share it, makes you whole.

Author: Unknown

TO READ ABOUT MY PROFILE (MY JOURNEY WITH LUNG CANCER - AS THE CHEMO DRIPS!) WITH STAGE IV LUNG (BAC) CANCER, DIAGNOSED MAY, 2002 / PROGNOSES TWO YEARS AND MY STORY PLEASE CLICK LINK BELOW.

http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewto ... 2155#72155

QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR / HELPFUL LINKS:

http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewto ... 585#163585

You must, on your own, make the commitment that you will do everything in your power to fight your disease. -Advanced stage lung cancer survivor RA Block-

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.

-Buddhist Quote On Gratitude-

It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.

-Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross-

We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, "Why did this happen to me?" unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way. -Author Unknown-

Top Ten Reasons Why I’m A Lung Cancer Survivor

10. Not going into funeral mode the day I was diagnosed. I never once thought this was it, that life was over or why bother. Lung Cancer is not a death sentence and one can be cured of it or still have a life living with it for many years.

9. Not dwelling on it. How I got it, why me, what if I did this/that or the blame game etc. It’s counter productive and wasted energy.

8. RESEARCH, RESEARCH and more RESEARCH. Knowledge is the key! The more one knows the better one can make decision with their doctor and better fight. Keeping it simple, does not really matter to me every little word on a report. Try to get down to the chase of what is going on and what needs to be done.

7. Living life to the fullest by making the best of it every day and by keeping busy. Life is short enough so why let a day go by.

6. I appreciate everything my family/friends do for me. I let them (especially Kathy and Tina) know how much it means to me and how much I love them.

5. Not making my disease about me. It affects my family/friends just as much if not more. My life has changed and I have to learn to adjust to the new normal. If I can’t do things or go places does not mean they can’t. It’s very important they have a life and go about it.

4. Keeping an open mind about treatments. Don’t know unless you try. Laughter, it’s the best medicine, does not have to be all doom and gloom. Exercise, it’s good for overall health and a great stress reliever. Healthy (common sense) diet, this one I need to improve on. I can eat in a coma.

3. Staying positive and having a good attitude. YES it does make a difference regardless of what adversity one faces. Have my days like anyone else but they are few and far in between.

2. All my doctors/nurses. I’m very blessed/fortunate to have a great medical team and great health coverage.

1. My wife.my daughter and my closest friend I love them the most and they mean the most to me. I owe it to them, there the ones who have stood by my no matter what and showed me the true meaning of family, life and love is all about. You can lead a horse to water but can’t get it to drink. Bottom line it’s up to me to be pro-active, to keep trying and to never never never give up!

Last edited by dadstimeon on Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

I miss Ya big Guy and say hi to all our friends and loved ones for us!!

I am shocked. He posted just one week ago on 11/20 saying how he was nearly a 7 1/2 yr. Stage IV survivor of BAC , diagnosed 5/02.

He has been such a wonderful member here and so supportive. We will all miss him.

Donna G

He was such a nice, nice guy. Rich was so hepful to me. As someone already mentioned he had a link to just about any place you needed and yes definitely one to our hearts. My sincere condolences to his family.

Carol

So sorry to see that Rich is gone.

I almost feel like this post should be in Inspirational because that's what I think of when I think of Rich. I remember talking with him about the Boston Walk and he was just so nice. He was just a quiet, non-assuming man who was truly inspirational without ever even trying to be. He was a true hero.

Rest in peace Rich.