Bone scan results

TBone

Conclusion:

There is increased radiotracer activity in the left scapula,right rib,lumbar spine,left femur and left tibia.These most likely represent metastatic deposits

1.Calvarium activity appears normal

2.No increased activity is demonstrated in the cervical or thoracic spine.

3.Pelvis and hips appear normal.

4.The ribs are normal except for an elongated area of increased radiotracer activity in the right posterior 8th rib

5.Right femur is normal

6.Right tibia and fibula are normal.

7.Kidneys are normal.

Now.I wonder what all this means?LOL.TBone

Ok, I confess, I had to go look up these words: radiotracer, scapula, femur, tibia, and calvarium. I used my handy-dandy on-line medical dictionary, which by the way, can be found here:

http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd? ... Search+OMD

Now, I still don't know what radiotracer means, although it gives a definition, but the definition sounds like this: Radical therapeutic reduction measured in megameters of the hypothesis of nadelwipes. In other words, it made no sense to me. :lol::lol: The scapula is part of the shoulder, the femur & tibia are part of the leg (I guess I did know those, but just wanted to double check), and I already forgot what it said calvarium is. :oops:

TBone, which leg hurts? You probably said earlier, but I forget that, too. Hey - it's just my age, my age - not brain mets. :roll:

Peggy

P.S. By the way, in case you didn't know, you can actually open two Internet Explorer windows at the same time, so when I'm reading all of your posts, I usually have my handy-dandy on-line medical dictionary open at the same time. :D

P.S.S. It might not work very well if you have a dial-up.

TBone, the report is confusing to me, as I believe to others here. Is it your left leg where the pain is? That would be consistent with the report of possible mets there. I would ask your onc about Zometa or Aredia for the bone met prevention. I hope there is a plan of attack to get rid of those pesky critters inside you. Don

Hi everybody,

My doctor and me are confused too.The pain is in the right leg and nothing appears to be causing it on the bone scan.He is going to start me on 10 rounds of radition to the right pelvic/hip area on Monday because he still thinks it is being caused by a met over there somewhere that has not shown up on scans.I agreed that it is worth a try because the only other option I had at the moment was more pain pills.I will get my chemo port on Tuesday and start chemo soon too.TBone

PS

The doctor said that there is a remote possibility that my brain could be causing the leg pain.He doesn't believe it though.He says he has seen it happen but it is a totally different type of pain.I sure hope and pray that it is not my brain and that the zaps to my hip/pelvic area will fix it.Praying for us all.TBone

TBONE:

Sounds confusing to me too. Do you have any pain in the areas that the scan shows increased uptake? You also say you have a met in the abdomen? Can that be the cause of your leg pain? I guess, depending on where in the abdomen. Well, I am glad there is a plan in place. Keep your spirits up. Love the pig.

Elaine

Thanks for telling us which leg, TBone. I sure hope the radiation relieves the pain. Are the pain pills not helping much? You will definitely be in my prayers.

I have a huge, huge cyst in my sacrum that gives me horrible leg pain at night because it presses against the nerves in both legs. I take 2-3 Neurontin's at night and it helps, but I have to sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees. It needs to be surgically removed, but it's a 2-3 day hospital stay and 3 weeks off work, and with everything going on with hubby and my dad, I just can't do it right now. I can't imagine having even that kind of leg pain all day and all night without some relief, and I'm sure what you are experiencing is 1,000 times more painful. Again, you will be in my prayers.

I hope all goes well with your port, radiation and chemo. Is this the first chemo you've had so far? Do you know what they are going to give you? I'm sure you already know that getting chemo and radiation at the same time might knock you on your hiney - it did my husb. and he was strong as an ox. It also might not be hard on you at all, but be sure you have a new battery in your TV remote and a nice fluffy pillow handy. The good news is that it will pass. Hang in there, TBone, and try to relax. We will all be thinking about you next week.

God loves you,

Peggy

I'm feeling a bit dim, but I didn't understand a word of what you were saying there. I kept waiting for you to say "and you do the hokey pokey and turn yourself about".

I don't know what to say about any of this other than to say I am praying for you today and always.

Carleen

Hi everybody,

I am sorry that I confused everybody but I posted that just to show how much we need to know as far as terminoligy and all goes.The first post was word for word what they handed me when I asked for a copy of the scan results.I had to come home and dig out a dictionary too.All I know is that my doctor saw nothing on the scan that he thinks causes this pain.He is 000 that it is a lesion somewhere in my right hip area that has not appeared on scan.Some of the lesions mentioned on the report were tiny according to him.I will just pray that he is right and that the radiation works.I am already on neurontin and have been for 3 weeks.It doesn't help at all.Praying for us all.TBone

PS.

I can kill this pain with oxycontin but it takes so much to do it that I am wasted by the time the pain subsides.

Bless your heart! Enough already!! I hope that the radiation helps you. Since there are small uptakes in a few places, has your doctor suggested giving you Zometa? The Zometa is a bone strengthener. It is supposed to help prevent fractures due to mets and also help prevent more bone mets. My Dad gets Zometa once a month with his chemo, so you wouldn't have to make a special trip. Also, if it is a tumor that is causing your leg pain, getting chemo just might help. It did my Dad. (He didn't get any radiation, yet) Get luck with your port, radiation and chemo. I will be praying for you.

Angie

Gosh darn those reports! They give them to us like that so that THEY can look like they know what they are doing and WE feel dumb! Sometimes I don't think they have a clue either!

Anyway, hope your doctor's guess is right and the radiation to the hip area will help with your pain.

My dr. put me on oxycontin also and I took two doses. After that I went back to my old migraine standby "Goody's Powders". They are like BC Powders, but they work so much better. (Over the counter med)

I hate being drugged up and not being able to function. Even if I have to take the powders every 4 hours, I'd rather do that than take something that knocks me out and stops me up!!!!!

Good luck with your treatment and let us know what type of chemo you are on!

TAnn

This is lousy news TBone.........but your onco sounds like he's staying on top of it. He certainly knows more about the way cancer travels inside our bodies than we know....so it's a good sign for you that he's starting treatment right away. My money's on his years of experience....the mets will be zapped into submission. Prayers for your recovery are coming your way.

Hi Tbone,

I think that all the confusion comes from the fact the doctors “practice” medicine. I would however prefer that they finish their practicing before giving me a diagnosis.

Pain management is another thing. Recently my pain spread to the right side of my abdomen attacking with a particular vigor I had not experienced before. Also started losing weight big time (20 lbs in 3 weeks). Based upon x-ray my primary doc said that the cancer had spread to my liver. Was then referred to doc who gave me a sonogram that indicated it may be in the kidney and is putting pressure on the liver. When I asked her if I needed another opinion she told me to talk with my priest and make sure my spiritual life was in order. (Encouraging don’t you think?)

So it just goes to show ya, in the immortal words of Rosanna Rosannadana, “It’s always something.” For me managing the pain is the key to maintaining the best quality of life that I can. I am using a combination of Morphine, Percoset and a Fentalal patch. While by the end of the day I am pretty zonked, I can still function pretty well around the house, watch (rather than coach) our soccer team and help my young son with his homework.

When I am feeling down, both physically and emotionally I try and reflect on how lucky I am to do what I can do and accept what I can not.

Hang in there and know you are in our prayers.

God Bless,

Howard

Wow, T-Bone! I'm with Carleen on the song thing - 'cept my head keeps chantin' about "Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Gonna walk around..." So, in your case, somehow the leg bones connected to the hip bone, the hip bone's connected to the rib bone, the rib bones connected to the shoulder bone and the shoulder bone's connected to the head bone, right?? I think?

...and the bad stuff is in the OPPOSITE leg as the pain? Howzat?

...and then your BRAIN is figured in? Geesh, a man with a thought in his head and it's WRONG, go figure! :roll:

Hope it all gets cleared up and...well, cleared up! Don't the techs realize "OTHER:" on those scans doesn't HAVE to be filled up and continued on the next page?? (I'm waiting to read about my "unremarkable prostate" some day...I'll keep you up to date on that one...)

Take care and keep on keepin' on!

Becky

PS Peggy - if you haven't figured it out yet, when I can't THINK of the "right word", I make one up! :shock:

You have my prayers and best wishes that the treatment helps with the pain.

I had something along the same lines but mine was a pain in my jaw. Right side hurt so bad I couldn't touch it but it was caused by a bad tooth on the LEFT side, lol. It was a nerve that was involved.

Hope they get it all squared away for you!

God Bless,

MO

Since you haven't posted today, TBone, I thought I'd chime in and give all these good folks an update . . .

Talked to ViVi earlier today, and she said that TBone was in extreme pain after his first radiation treatment this morning - worse than ever. I just talked to Ms. TBone, and she said the pain actually did clear up later and he slept pain-free for a while today, but now it's back to some extent.

He has to be there at 6:30 tomorrow morning to have the chemo port put in. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.

I hate cancer, just in case any of you are wondering . . .

Blessings,

TeeTaa

Dear Tbone and family,

I'm saying extra prayers that the pain will be under control as of yesterday! There's nothing worse then nasty pain! Did they say WHY he had pain after his radiation treatment? :?:? Wasn't the object to help with the pain?? Oh I so hope this gets fixed SOON! Sorry Tbone, that you have to go through this.

Try hard to stay strong. We're all praying for you.

Tbone (and family),

I'm no doctor, but that possible met to the lubar spine could be causing the leg pain if it just happens to be pressing on just the right nerve. May want to check it out.

In the meantime here's praying the treatment your getting does the trick!

Dean