Getting to Know You - October 4

Ann

hope, friendship, laughter. that feeling of being KNOWN and loved. the opportunity to think about someone besides myself for a while. the feeling that hey, "it's a small world after all". information that helps my mother fight the good fight. as weird as this sounds, learning more about people's process of dying has helped me be less afraid - for my mom, whenever it's time for her to go (I'm guessing about 25-30 years :wink:) and for me.

I keep coming back to check on my LCSC family members and to offer comfort and information when I think I can be helpful.

Selfishly, I also come here for support when I'm feeling a little ragged. Everyone makes me feel so welcome. Sometimes just signing on and reading some good news will perk me right up!

I also come here to stay informed of new treatments and ideas that members offer. This is a very informed family!

I get a warm fuzzy coming here and none of you care if I show up in my pajamas with a fluffy towel around my head, and mascara smeared around my eyes. At least no one has said anything about it. :)

Lynne

There are a number of reasons. Hope is the biggest one. When Alan's cancer had spread to his brain I was so lost, but you read how often the good people on this board have fought and keep fighting. That gave me lots of hope.

Support, I feel so close the the "cyber" friends I have made.

Comfort, I feel safe in disclosing what I am feeling as a caregiver, during the ups and downs of this disease

Thanks to all of you for being there whatever my need may be on a particular day.!!!

Debbie

Husband Alan DX LSCLC Jan 10th 2005

I love the support I get here. I also like feeling that maybe some of what I've been through can be used to help others.

I can also be pitiful here if I need to be, and I'm not judged. Sometimes, no matter how much she loves her mother and is devoted to her, a gal just needs to vent.

Plus you folks tell some funny jokes!

:) Kelly

I keep searching for those stories that defy the statistics. The 10yr + survivors that make me believe I too can be here to see my kids graduate from High School, or get married, get their license, go on a 1st date or even just go to kindergarten!!!!!

I want hope, and a reason to fight...friends, knowledge, get support, give support. I find myself coming back more and more. I must be getting what I'm looking for, Thanks!!

Vicky

Friendship and support. This website is addicting. People tell me I should leave b/c emotionally I have anxiety issues as it is and they believe reading about cancer every day is harming me. Yet I just can't stay away. I want to hear how everyone is.

I come here to try and give back part of what was so generously and lovingly given to me by members of this group. Losing my husband was the very lowest point of my entire life. I found understanding and support here from people that had actually "been there and done that." I come her to cheer on my friends that are fighting cancer with all of their might! I come here to comfort the caregivers that are so worried about their loved ones. I come here to receive the support, hugs and encouragement that I so often need. And...I come here because Cindi makes great drinks at the pub!!!

Hummmm...why do I keep coming back? I guess I get so involved with everyone here that I just can't stay away. I feel so close to many of the members here I can't imagine staying away long. This site has helped me so much, and I hope I have helped others on this journey the way others helped me.

I've learned so much from the people on this website about this disease. I've also learned not to believe the statistics. Most important, personally, I've learned a lot from the positive attitudes and the fighting spirits so many of you have. You just keep up this battle, no matter what is thrown at you and most of you are successful at LIVING with cancer. What an incredible bunch of people. Like Andrea, I feel addicted to this site and go through withdrawl when it's down.

Thanks Katie and Rick

gail p-m

I used to come here for Hope. My cup now runneth over. It would be nice to give that to some who are new to the journey, a hand to hold in some of the darkest time of their life. A flashlight and a ball bat, for the monsters in the dark basement.

Interesting question. Sometimes I want to say bye-bye. But I know that wouldn't be right. For me, or for the "guys" here. When I found this site, I found many friends; people who have helped me survive. Through so many problems, physical, mental, emotional, practical - they've taken the time to HELP ME. This is a wonderful place to be. You are my true friends. Thank you all. You are a wonderful group and I'm proud to be a part of this. I've never see such wonderful people! Love you all.

Joanie.

I stay because we are like one big family. There are just not many people who are willing to talk about Lung Cancer. People act like they are afraid to get envolved. It is almost as if they are afraid that if they get too close it may strike them or one of their loved ones. Everyone here is already personaly aquainted with the monster. There is always at least one person who understands what I have been through or am still going through.

Like with any real family I want to give as well as take. Sometimes I feel like I can give others I feel like the best thing I can do is just set back and let someone else do the giving. I think that is in a large part because I still have some of that anger I spoke about and I know that most of the people here don't need to hear that.

I also still want to learn all I can about lung Cancer. I lost two of the most important people in my life to that monster. When the day comes that it is defeated I want to be here with my "family" to cheer with all of you :!:

1. I stay because of the wonderful Pub we have on this board. No other Board has a Cindi's Pub this GRAND! :wink:8) Clink Clink, lets DRINK!

2. I stay because when I looked for a message board,(many moons ago) I had a heck of a time finding a GOOD one,(or for that matter I had a heck of a time finding ONE at ALL) :shock: and then POOF, LCSC APPEARED. It was just what I was looking for, so I stayed. (okay, kind of had a flash back of the "Three little Bears" saying that"!) :lol:

3. I stay because I have so MANY wonderful friends here. They have given SOOOOOOOO MUCH to me in the way of friendship, love, support, & joy! I can say that many of these people have become GOOD FRIENDS and HONEST FRIENDS, and TRUSTED FRIENDS and I feel BLESSED! And yet, I have never met most of these people in person, but I trust them enough to share who I am and what this Lung Cancer journey has been like for me. And the best part of that is, they all just sit back and listen, and let me be who I am on a good day or on a bad day. And then they offer love and hugs and support. How GREAT IS THAT?

4. I stay because I want others to know Lung Cancer

CAN BE BEAT! I'm Living Proof! :D And I want everyone to beat this MONSTER as I have. And having said all this. I love you all and continue to pray for a cure for Lung Cancer. Until that happens, I'll just continue to hang out here at my second home, LCSC and continue to make new friends that I will add with open arms to my wonderful circle of LCSC friends that I already have!

LOVE TO ALL AND GOD BLESS EACH & EVERYONE OF US!

I CONTINUE TO MOURN THE FRIENDS WE HAVE LOST!

Peace to there memories.

I stay because there are others just like me here. My family just does not have any idea what I am actually going thru.

My greatest fear with this disease is leaving them to carry on. I have always done 'homework' here. Tom carries the trash out weekly and the kids when they are here, clean if I get on their case. I worry about who is going to do those other 'things' when I am gone.

There are others here who know JUST WHAT I MEAN!