Do I have to become immune?

Or do I just need to settle down?

I tell you, maybe I am just mean or high maintenance, but my mom's health (or lack thereof) is still important!

When I called mom this morning, she complained of a headache all over her head, which is not normal for her. She has not had one headache since being diagnosed with brain mets. It is so debilitating she is not going to therapy at rehab today. So, I told her to call the nurse right away bc the rehab Dr. just upped her Lovenox due to a blood clot found in her leg this week. The nurse practitioner came in and said they would watch it. I called back to mom's room and SF called me "Dr." in a very condescending way. I yelled and hung up. I called the nurses station and talked to the NP to explain this is very unusual and I think they need to scan her ASAP bc of the threat of brain bleeding. She said she'd call the Dr.

I am at work and just got a call from SF on my voice mail that they are taking mom to the hospital for a CT scan and he reassured me she'd be fine.

I pray that everything is OK or at least fixable for mom. If they have to stop the Lovenox, are there alternatives? She was on coumadin forever when she got her first clot, plus it was very hard to regulate for her. I need to try to stay a step ahead of the game.

Just venting really. I feel like mom is so far gone that people have become apathetic to things that happen. Maybe I need to join the boat and calm down, but I would never forgive myself. JEESH!!!!

Lori, you're a wonderful daughter and such a great advocate for your moms health care! Please remember that you can vent, yell or scream here anytime. We're always here for you! I'm saying prayers for both you and your mom!

Lori,

You keep on being your mom's advocate. She knows you will help her to get things done. You did the right thing. That's why she told you she had a headache... Don't take to heart what your SF says to you. Just let it slide, he is showing he is not in control, even in your mom's eyes. Keep up the good job. They will run tests and get her the right care...Never,never give up, your mom wants to live and fight this disease.

Sending you and mom, lot's of prayers. Please keep us posted....

Please keep venting to us here. We will support you and give you as much information as we have...

God Bless and hugs,

Karen

you're doing great, Lori. your stepdad and you have a history of difficulty - well, I can tell you that even family members that normally get along get at each other with this stuff! it's all so stressful. you are such a great support to her. just keep doing what you're doing, and try to be like a duck with the sarcasm - let it roll off your back. it's not worth getting all wet over.

been there with the brain bleed, hope it's not that or trouble from the mets. strange to think that, for us, a headache may never be just a headache again.

hang in there. and keep us posted!!

xoxo

amie

Lori,

All I really have to say is I would give a great deal to have someone just like you advocating for me.

I did the same kinds of things for my Mother during her illness. You have to stay on top of things.

A big part of being a long term Lung Cancer Survivor is not allowing that same apathy you have so aptly described to go unquestioned.

I am having to do for myself the things you are doing for your Mom. I know how stressful it is. All I can say is God Bless you for being exactly who you are. And as far as the SF's sarcastic "Doctor", well, the next time he does that politely ask him just how much time has he spent doing the research that will give an indication as to whether or not the care being given is appropriate.

You are wonderful.

Lori,

It really stinks that, in addition to helping your mom fight the cancer, you have to fight so many others.

That said, GOD BLESS YOU for doing it! Maybe the SF doesn't understand what you are doing...maybe he is intimidated by your knowledge, or the fact that he has no idea what to do. His problems are HIS problems. You keep doing what you know is right--because it is right.

In case you haven't seen my rants, I'm a big fan of venting. Come here and do it anytime. You're among friends, and we love you!

:) Kelly

Lori,

With Don and my dad, I found that I really needed to be very active in pushing for this, that or the other, especially with my dad.

Don't worry about stepping on toes at this time or what anybody thinks. Just keep doing for your mom the things you are doing - somebody has to.

Love,

Peggy

Lori,

You are doing right by your mom.

However, do try to avoid the borrowing trouble scenario we all play out from time to time. Your thoughts are already on whether to have the Louvenox d/ced, but you don't know yet if she has a bleed.

Wait for this to play itself out. No sense wasting precious time and energy on making a gameplan for something that may not occur.

Sending you a huge cyber hug!

~Suz

Lori -

You are a wonderful daughter. I completely understand why you are doing what you are doing, why you are concerned, etc -- Ignore your SF, you are doing what is right. You KNOW the right things to do, it is innate because you are your mom's daughter -- it is simply a sixth sense.

Hang in there. Breathe and don't panic. :)

All my love,

Holly

Lori,

You are doing right by your mother, continue to keep your ears open and your head up and questioning the questionable...

BUT, take care of yourself, too. Primal scream therapy in the car helps - turn up the AC/DC and just scream along or take a deep breath and scream out all the frustrations (usually best to do this when you don't have passengers LOL). Cry in the shower to let off some of that pressure and take care of YOU, too. There are people depending on you for the day to day as well as your mother who is depending on someone to speak for her when she can't. It SHOULD be your SF taking care of your mother, but it's not. Life ain't fair and you are doing a wonderful job of stepping up where you are needed, but don't shortchange yourself and your family in the process. Hang in there, hang on and know that in all the craziness, you are calling the shots correctly.

xxoo,

Becky

Wow Lori, what could I possibly add that wasn't said so many times. You are a great daughter and your mom is soooo lucky to have you right by her side.

What would she do without you? I love the way you take the bull by the horns and you don't let go. Your amazing.

I pray your moms headaches is nothing major.

Maryanne :wink:

Yes, you do have to become immune....to SF bs. Here's your a-hole vaccination right here:

on your upper right arm

circle circle dot dot

now you have your a-hole shot.

Goood for only ten minutes in his presence. Then you have to get revaccinated only with stronger stuff. I wish I could permanently do it for ya but I ain't willing to go to jail.

Wishing you more super human strenghth to deal with all and more. '

Much love

Eppie