Update

sharonjo

Well, I saw my onc yesterday and got the results of the MRI I had taken right after Christmas. Unfortunately, the spots they saw on the CT are new liver mets - the MRI confirmed this. So now I am going back on chemo, but am going to do a Phase 3 trial this time. I will be randomized to either Taxotere or Almita with or without the study drug Cetuximab (Erbitux). Anyone have experience with any of these drugs? The Cetuximab is a targeted therapy and supposed to have minimal side effects. I am wondering about the chemo drugs Taxotere and Alimita. I am not going to start treatment until 2/19, as I have a Disney trip scheduled for early February, and I would miss 2 treatments while away. So I am very happy about that, cause I don't want to be tired or nauseaus or in pain while in the happiest place on earth!!!! And I feel super right now - so I'll go off to Florida and then come back and kick some cancer butt!!!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I am so sorry to hear about your new mets and also that you have to start that blasted chemo again. But you have a incredible attitude. With everything you have been through in your life ( and that is much too much for one person) you just keep on fighting. Your amazing, and with your attitude, you will prevail.

I am so proud of you. Good luck with your new treatments.

You are smart to wait till you come home. Have a great time in Disney World with your grandchildren. If anybody deserves a break it certainly is you!!!!!

Thinking of you girlfriend....

Maryanne :wink:

1. I am sorry to hear about the new mets. :(:evil:

2. I am glad to hear they have a plan in place for you and I am praying and hopeful it will stop this bugger in it's tracks.

3. I am so happy to hear your going to Disney! How fun is that? YOU GO GIRL!! Have a GREAT TIME!

4. I just want you to know your in my thoughts and prayers each and every day! Keep that fighting attitude! It's half the battle, as you well know!

((((((((((SHARON))))))))))))

Hi Sharon,

I don’t have experience with any of the drugs you mentioned but I am so sorry to hear about the liver mets. Have your doctors considered a biopsy just to be sure? When all the imagining studies indicated I had liver mets, it was the biopsy that provided the definitive answer. Doing the biopsy was somewhat controversial because the other doctors thought the imaging studies were sufficient evidence. But my primary Onc argued my case before the tumor board and the surgeons and radiologists finally agreed. The surgeon had me sign a release to allow him to resect my liver because he fully expected to find cancer. So I am a pretty big proponent of getting biopsies whenever possible.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Florida. Like the rest of the East Coast we have been unusually warm this winter, so the temperatures will likely be in the mid eighties when you visit next month.

Sharon,

Sorry to hear about the new mets and that you are going back to chemo, that's just lousy. It sounds like you've got a good plan and a super attitude to take you through this.

Enjoy your Disney trip. Take the time to relax and enjoy (I know, there's not much time to relax in Disney!), then come back with both fists swinging!

Best of luck,

Tracy

So sorry to hear about the mets, Sharon. Enjoy Disney and come back ready to fight! I've had buckets of Taxotere -- starts off fine but does a number on the blood counts over time. However, it really knocked the bejezus out of my tumor, so I won't complain about it too much. Good luck with treatment; I'll be praying for great results.

Trish

Hi Sharon.

First, enjoy the trip!

Then, darn, more chemo..but we have a plan.

I have been on taxotere and alimta. Both were fairly easy for me as far as side effects went, For both, I needed some extra sleep and the taxotere also seemed to cause a rash (it's always hard to be certain if it was the chemo or something else).

The alimta had no effect, maybe slight progression. The taxotere seemed to stay the same size but it was interesting that the tumor was identified as different dimensions.

Good luck.

Mary

I'm sorry to hear this news...but I know you can beat this! You've been a real inspiration to my mom and I and we will keep you in our prayers. Enjoy Disneyland--I'm glad you are sticking with your travel plans...cancer can get it's butt kicked when you return. XOX Candy

• 2 weeks later...