I really need your support - Update

ginnyde

I made the decision that I was going to tell Earl right before the doctor was to call at 8:00. I received the oscar for best actress in a tragedy last night because from 5:30 until 7:45 I was the picture of everything is normal.

Earl is so strong. He just sat there - no tears, no historonics?? He asked some questions and I was a blubbering idiot - so much for that oscar.

Of course, the dr. did not call at 8:00. By 8:45 I called our friend who is the nursing supervisor at Fox Chase and asked her if she could see if our dr was still at the hospital. Well, he was not but was on call, so the operator patched here through. He told him she was my good friend and that I was expecting a call from him. She said he acted very human - being upset about not calling and he called here immediately.

The call I had with him in the morning he really pooh poohed anymore treatment. His conversation with Earl last night seemed very different (I was on the extension). He really seemed to encourage Earl to get the WBR.

Earl told him he wanted to leave no stone unturned. I am calling this am to set up appt with radiation oncologist. Earl is really not walking - uses a walker but only to get from bed to downstairs and back. But his appetite is great (maybe steroids, but who cares) and his mind is basically fine. I told him and the dr. that I support him 1,000,000,000,000%.

At the end of the call, the dr's excuse for not calling is that he was out with his 8 year old walking the dog and eating cookies. My last remark to him was, while you were doing that we were sitting here crying.

Thank you, thank you for your support. Boy, did I miss you guys when the board was down. And thank you again Katie and Rick.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I'll be praying for you and the Duke. I think the twinkle is in his eyes, just a wee bit hidden right now.

Good for you for reminding the doctor that his patients are human beings.

Cat

Even if the twinkle doesn't quite show in his eyes right now....it sure sounds like Earl hasn't lost the twinkle in his spirit. It will serve as a guide for you both.

He is so lucky to have you as his advocate, Ginny. Who knows him better? Between the two of you, you'll make your decisions and inform the medical team...not vice versa.

I suppose we all can understand that doctors are human too...and have lives to live. But to be waiting on a call like this, in tears, anxious...while your doc is out walking the dog and eating cookies.....is a mental picture that gave me an uncomfortable chill.

I'm glad you did finally speak with him though...and gladder still that Earl was able to express just how much he still is in this fight!

Enormous, calming hugs to the both of you. What a night...huh? Hope you both got a little rest and that the light of morning is making everything look a little brighter...a little more possible!

Hang in there...you've got a big army out here pulling and praying for the both of you!

Ginny

So glad Earl was given the opportunity to make the decision and the support from both the doctor and, of course, you (which we all knew was a given.) My dad had a doctor who was kind of that way--said one thing to me and within minutes said another to my dad, which was confusing at the time, but now I see it more like a good thing--it helped keep my dad going and believing. I had no idea a person could get WBR twice. Something new every day!

I wonder what Earl thinks about what you told him he said vs what he later said. Sorry, as the patient, when its the caregiver on here who posts, I always wonder what the other half has to say;

Like Cat, I bet the twinkle is just hidden. It wants to come out, I know.

Thank you Ginny for being a great caregiver.

elaine

Ginny,

I think walking the dog and spending time with an 8 year old and cookies is a better feeling than if the doctor were out golfing and spending time at the 19th hole. You know the man is human and is capable of love...and sometimes, I wonder about some of the loving capacity of many of the doctors out there...

Back to thoughts on Earl...keep fighting while he's in the fight! Ultimately, he'll be the final decision of when enough is enough. You are a WONDERFUL caregiver, Ginny. Never doubt what you are doing. Keep up the 'networking' and having the home field advantage at times...

I hope you see that twinkle soon!

Love,

Becky

I am so happy that Earl has decided to fight.... I think for some people (me included) it is important to not leave one stone unturned. I believe with Earls fighting spirit he can give the dreaded "C "quite a fight. I am sorry you had such a miserable night waiting for the doctor. I don't think doctors ever quite "get it" that we sit by the phone and wait. Please tell Earl my prayers are with him and of course you too Ginny. God Bless you both. Sharon

Ginny,

You are the best. Know we are all here for you and Earl. I'm so glad there is a plan. I watched my mom take care of my dad and can only appreciate what you are going thru from a "third party" perspective. I can only offer up prayers the you, Earl and your family and hope you feel His divine intervention.

Nancy

Ginny,

I'm sorry you had such a rough day yesterday.

Especially when the doctor left you holding the bag, :(

The good news on that is that he's willing to keep helping Earl fight

this ba$ta+d disease.

Hang in there, hon....

Take whatever strength you need from me...

Earl is very lucky to have you,

and you are most fortunate to have each other.

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers always

MaryAnn

Ginny

I am sorry that you've been going through so much. But it sounds good to me that the doctor has encouraged Earl with the WBR. As for the pesky doctor not calling you at 8pm because he was walking his dog with his daughter.............that sucks! He KNEW you were expecting his call at 8pm and if he couldn't stick to that time he shouldn't have given it. But, without dwelling on that, I hope you are finding the strength you need to take on this next stage of treatment. With every breath, there is always, always hope.

Jana

xxxxx

Ginny,

I am so glad that Earl is the fighter he is and you are his advocate. He is so blessed to have you there for him and i admire your strength. Glad to hear Earl is eating so he can keep up some of his strength. Ginny, can't they do stereotactic radiation. I don't think it would be as tough as the WBR. You are both always in my prayers...

God Bless, prayers and hugs,

Karen

Ginny,

Thank God there is another path to travel. My prayers are that Earl responds well to his new treatment. Of Course he is a fighter... He has you as his wife!!! The last thing in this world he wants is to give up and leave you, and the love you two have is the best and biggest motivator of all :-))

God Bless you Both,

Jane