another update

David A

I was able to start chemo today a drug called Alimta. We were also told of my cat scan results from last week. The lc is back and a little aggresively it is now in my left airway and outside it also making it diffucult for me to breathe and swallow. Next week I'm scheduled to have a rigid bronchscopy and laser suerdery to cut out the cancer in my airway then a rigid stent put in my airway to help keep it from collapsing.

After a goodnight sleep last night I feel better emotionally, you know for me not knowing what is going on inside me is worse then knowing the cold hard truth, knowing I can perpare myself for the battle at hand and believe my lung cancer has one hell of a battle if it wants to mess with me, I still have way to many things I want to do, and too much life to see and twin boys that need me and I felly intend on being there for them. As I write this I am making plans to go to indiananpolis for a big nhra event with a couple of my brother in laws labor day weekend and also I'm going to try to organise a Holiday lc bash up here at a restaraunt, guess I'm going to poke that proveberial carrot out there I need it.

sorry for rambling , I don't know where I would be with out all the great friends I have made here, you all mean the world to me. Thanks for reading.

David,

Glad you were able to do the chemo today. I know what you mean about knowing what you are facing. I am much better when I can devise a plan of attack. I will be praying for you next week during those procedures - doesn't sound like fun but you are doing something positive against this beast.

I am jealous about Indy. I have been twice, but many years ago - it is a marathon of a race and this is the 50th. They are planning to have a bunch of historic race cars that competed in at least one US Nationals - 1955-1980. Should be something to see.

Just take care of yourself and you know many prayers are being said by all your family here. My Mom in Florida is a great "prayer warrior" and you are on her prayer list.

Prayers and hugs,

Nancy B

David,

I am so sorry for all this new stuff that you are having to go through. You know that you have a fighter heart and spirit, just remember that David, and don't be afraid, you are going to be able to face all this stuff head on with your army (that would be us!) behind you!

I'm not the praying sort but my daughter is (go figure! :wink: ). I am going up to see her this weekend and I am going to make sure that her and my grandchildren have your back in their nightly prayers. (Don't tell Ry I'm leaving, I am sneaking off without a pass)

I am glad you started the chemo today and have good feelings about it...

David, my New Years Eve buddy, take care of yourself and do all that is necessary to rid your body of this horrible illness. I will need a friend on New Years Eve to talk with again so do whatever is necessary for we will be on board while everyone else on here is sleeping the party away. Take care my friend.

Hey, David. I know what you mean about feeling better after you know! I can't stand not knowing. It doesn't seem to bother my husband, though. He has the patience of Job. Just wanted you to know that Alimta is another Eli Lilly drug (where my hubby has worked for 31 years) and I'm praying it will be a powerful chemo for you. I looked it up and thought you ought to know about this if they haven't already told you about it:

"Patients treated with ALIMTA must be instructed to take folic acid and vitamin B12 as a prophylactic measure to reduce treatment-related hematologic and GI toxicity"

Don't want you to get a belly ache on top of everything else.

Best of luck and I'm saying those prayers.

Peggy

David,

I love your fighting spirit!! You fought many a demon in it's day and won and you will fight this one with everything you have I am sure. You are an inspiration for others who may at times just feel like giving up.

God Bless You,

Jane

David,

I sure do hate to hear the news about the airways problem. I hope the stent surgery is easy to over come and that you will be up and driving soon. I think about you all the time and hope that you are having a great day. I will keep you in my prayers and wish you only the best results.

Nina

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I'm sorry to hear this news. It's a good thing you're such a fighter. You'll beat this. You're in my prayers.

Cat

David,

I dont know what else to say except I hate that this is happening to you..I will be praying that the new treatment does the trick.. I remember back in Sept. seeing a program about a new lazer treatment that was getting rid of tumors that are in the airways and it was discovered by a doctor from Henry Ford, not far from you I think..I did post about when I saw it, if I am not mistaken you may be able to go to their website and research it, maybe through their archives or just call them direct..

Gee, David...any get-together that involves food.... you can whisper in my ear any time (but don't think I'll remember any more if the voice is closer to my brain - doesn't work, tried it). :wink:

I hope that this is THE chemo for you and that you are only temporarily stented...(is that a word?? If not, it is NOW!)

Take care,

Becky

Hey David,

Just wanted to drop a note and say Hi and let you know your in my prayers and that this chemo will stop the cancer in it's tracks!!!! One of my Support Group members was on it, and had very few side effects from it. It seemed to do the trick for him as far as keeping the cancer from spreading. HOWEVER, his is also in his bones, and it didn't do anything for that, but it DID stop it from growing in the soft tissue. Soooooooooooo I am going to pray this will do it for you as well!

Stay strong and have a great time at the NHRA event!!

Much love and support from me to you.

Connie

David-

Your courage and positive attitude about looking forward to things and making plans is a real inspiration. You're right! You DO have too much to do and people who are still counting on you...including all of us here at LCSC who feel attched to you. Go get 'em!