2 year survivor

David A

On May 6, 2002 I returned home from work at 2 am to find my wife wide awake(which was real unusual). I had just recently had a flexible brochoscpy, had been ruled out for tuberuclosis, valley fever, copd, and other fungus and lung diseases. After the broch with the scrapings they had it was determined that I had nslc. My wife being a friend of the Pulmonary doc who did the bronch, he had called her earlier in that evening with the news. I cried and cried and cried, felt like it was a certain death sentence, didn't feel like I should not buy myself anything new as it would just go to waste. I will never forget that early morning, I got on the net and found all the statistics which I know now are BS as I'm not a statistic.

The hardest thing was telling my parents, they are divorced, I had my older brother tell my dad, as my father has allways beat me up over my shortcoming(ie smoking) and I didn't need his negativism at this time.

I told my Mother on mothers day 2002, it was a very diffucult thing also,

but I'm so glad I told her. We lost my younger brother to diabetes at 33 in 1995 and I knew how hard it was on her, didn't want to cause pain for her. Mom is very religous ans spritual so that has helped.

I've learned to pray to God, for stregnth and to become a better father and husband, and alos pray for each of us on here,

Thank you all so much, you have helped me make this journey much easier and fun. Love, David A

David , thanks for sharing. 2 yrs :D this is good news. Stable . More good news. Praying for continued good news. Now what are you going to do to celebrate this mothers day with your wife and Mom? Donna G

When I first heard my husbands diagnosis I too went on the net in search of statistics. The doctors told us there was no cure, and along with what I found I was sure that it was a death sentence. Now we are 20 months out and still going strong and stable with minor complications here and there. When I found this site in Sept. 2002, everyone here has since taught me that statistics are only numbers, and not reliable ones at that. Let me be one of the first to congratulate YOU on not being a number but a SURVIVOR! Here's to many more years of life, love, and laughter!

:) I for one am glad you're here making it so much more fun for the rest of us. I follow you in diagnosis by only a few weeks and have gone through many of the same emotions. Stability sure is a beautiful word in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your journey David.

David -

You are walking, living proof that miracles are made every day -- you are, and continue to be such an inspiration for so many here. Congratulations on your NSCLC Anniversary -- May you be here to tell us again next year this time, and the year after, and the year after, and, and, and........~ We all need to hear more of this wonderful thing called "hope".

Big Hugs -

Beth

=========================

Husband diag. 12/03 w/SCLC - Stage 4

Mets to liver, spine, femur

13 treatments of carbo/taxol, developed neuropathy

Home in bed three weeks, platelets too low.

Switched to CPT 11, 2nd treatment tomorrow.

Husband walking again~! Yeah for hope -

Congrats Dave.And thanks for sharing that.I felt the same way.I was given 30 days the night I went to the ER.That was by a neurosurgeon though.But I can't describe what a terrible feeling that was.And like Fay says.Give yourself a pat on the back.You have helped bunches of people on here.Praying for us all.TBone

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Congratulations Dave. Here's to your 2 yr. anniversary and the next one and the one after and the one after that and...... :)