Darn

kimblanchard

Well, last week was not a good week, tests showed that the tumors had started growing again and I have also exhausted all the treatment options available from Medical University of South Carolina (I've lived too long :lol: ). So my options were to just accept palliative care to be kept as comfortable as long as possible or try and get into a Lung Cancer Trial at Duke.

I opted for a trial at Duke and it looks like they have one that may benefit me, nothing will cure me, only hope of prolonging my existence. Which I will do as long as I am comfortable and able. The trips to Duke will be a pain (5hours)and I do not know what the schedule will be. This will start in about a month.

I want to work as long as I can…it keeps my mind occupied and pays the bills, but I am sure I will have to cut back closer to 30 hours per week.

I have a cough that is worsening all the time, this weekend I had a coughing fit and lost my voice, so I can not speak very loudly. I still feel fair, but the emotional roller coaster ride has really drained me.

Thanks and love to you all

jim

Jim,

I am SO GLAD to hear you opted for the Trial!! God only knows what will work, but I admire that your willing to try it all my friend. :wink: I think I would do the same.

Hang in there Jim. This trial just might be the magic bullet! I will continue to be HOPEFUL!!

(((((((((((((JIM))))))))))))))

that is a double darn with a few #*#*# thrown in. I can imagine your head is just spinning right now. When it stops spinning you can focus again.

5 hour car rides mean a book on CD for me. I have listened to every Bernie Siegel book--his voice still calms me.

good luck

gail[/b]

Maybe there is a way to find trials on irreversible EFGR inhibitors like HKI-272

This drug is supposed to work after Tarceva stops working.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/N ... 77?order=1

It looks like there is a trial of sns-595 at Duke that looks interesting. One reason chemo fails sometimes is because of a mutation in the P53 gene.

It appears that sns-595 does not work through the p53 gene so it the cancer is less likely to be chemo-resistant to this drug.

It is supposed to be pretty easy on the body.

Good luck

Good luck on your trial Jim. I would opt for reasonably good quality existence too. I have heard of some oncologists repeating a former treatment that has worked well, as long as a year or 2 has elapsed since it was last applied. I don't see taxotere in your list. You could try that.

Don M

Jim,

You are our energizer bunny--you keep going and going and going. So sorry for the bad news and the long drive. Glad you are opting for a clinical trial at Duke.

You have always been my inspiration and you were Charlie's, too. Take care. Many daily prayers being said for you, Jim. You CAN do this!

(((((Jim)))))

Jim,I have been pretty much on pallitive care for a little over a year now and still doing fairly well.They never mentioned any clinical trials(I wouldn't be able to pay out of pocket for them anyway).

They still do a good job of monitoring me and doing all they can to maintain decent quality of life.

I hope that trial will help you.You sure have worked hard at beating this and really deserve to have things turn for the good.

Besides that you and your shadow have a lot of fishing to do yet.

Jim,

Sorry to hear this last treatment didn't work longer, but glad to hear you're getting into a clinical trial.

I just love your attitude, gotta keep going. You give me (and many others I'm sure) such inspiration.

Good luck on your new treatment.

Tracy

You know how important you were to Brian. You are w/ me as well.

Put your 'DUKES' up, but don't let the drives become the focus of things...............each day w/ your fishing buddy and ...............well you know.

You are an inspiration and a very special person.

Much love

Pat